Monday, September 21, 2009

Meet You Under The Sweet Gum - After The Sales.


I can’t wait any longer. I know the first day of fall doesn’t arrive until tomorrow, but I’m celebrating it a day early. Harlequin Cat’s feline affinity for fall foliage began under a sweet gum tree -- lunging at leaves splotched red and yellow but having to settle for Day-Glo oranges instead.

Wonderful, glorious, mysterious fall!

But turns out I’m not the only one to describe the season in such reverent terms.

The big retailers are, too – paying homage by adding just one more word: profitable. I can’t blame them. Business has been lousy and I really do hope they have a good fourth quarter.

But do Thanksgiving decorations really have to be put out in August? And I’m already sick of seeing all the Halloween stuff coated with July store dust.

Come to think of it, I could have sworn I heard a ho-ho-ho flying through New York last week. For sure I saw Marley’s ghost.

I don’t feel so bad now celebrating the season a day early. So meet you under the sweet gum tree?

OK, I’ll wait until you pay for your pilgrim salt-and-pepper shakers first.

No comments:

Post a Comment