Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Only Time Will Tell If "Womanity" Falls Flat.


A new word has thudded into the global marketing ground: “Womanity.”

Clarins Fragrance Group and Thierry Mugler have created womanity.com and want to know what "Womanity" means to you.

Answers will be collected and possibly used to develop luxury fragrance and fashion products.

From what I can tell, the ultimate goal is to cash in on internet crowdsourcing and bring the Thierry Mugler brand “to a new frontier.” Don’t worry, though. Mugler is “not suddenly giving up his role as a creator.” The dialogue between creator and crowds is just being “enriched.”

Against a background of brooding music, the site opens with:

Womanity is me. Womanity is you. Womanity is her.

And just when you think it can’t get any better, you’re treated to definitions from real women who, for whatever reason, feel the need to express their “Womanity.” I’m not including the responses because most remind me of that hear-me-roar song by Helen Reddy, “I Am Woman” recorded in 1972.

Which is my point.

There’s nothing new here except a marketing-purposed word that’s hard to pronounce. Plus, I’ve never been a fan of empowering sisterhoods, all-female networking groups and girls’ night-outs.

Why do we perpetuate the need to be defined by gender?

Remove the “ity” from “Womanity.” Add it to “human.”

That’s the group I belong to.

And it's much easier to pronounce.

No comments:

Post a Comment