Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fireworks At the Crack Of Dawn


Today is July 4th and I've already kicked off the holiday with special fireworks of my own: vomitus eruptus on the kitchen floor (and I hadn't even read the morning paper yet). Speaking of, I didn't see much on the front page about independence unless you count Alaska Gov Sara Palin "stunning" the GOP with her decision to quit and do her own thing. Wonder if she's laying the groundwork for a presidential run or designing a new line of eyewear.

Personally, I find today's newspaper ads much more interesting, all five of them. Four scream out, "4th of July BLOW-OUT SALE," but the fifth one, "Star-Spangled Mattress Sale!" is my favorite. It's practical and patriotic, and you can't beat that. I will say that retailers sure are having a tough time; still, you'd think they'd focus on some low-hanging fruit, like honing their customer-service skills. But not at the super-store I visited yesterday. One oblivious shopper put her full, hand-carried grocery basket on the conveyor belt to be scanned, and I guess the checker was annoyed that she didn't unload the contents herself. So he picked up the basket, turned it completely upside down, and the canned chili-dog sauce, frozen Cornish hens and fruit all spilled out at once. Who knew raspberries could ricochet off a cash register with such lovely grace? The checker looked satisfied. He had just taught the shopper a valuable lesson: Unload your own damn basket.

Wishing you a July 4th filled with love and peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment