Monday, August 24, 2009

Aunt Ruby And The Golden Hearts


Tara and I are still talking about the Red Fire Farm Festival held in Granby two days ago. Tara did everything she wanted to do except run in the Tomato Trot. The owners said dogs couldn’t enter, but to make up for it, they fixed her up a nice plate of whole heirloom tomatoes and she chomped on them like apples. What a mess, but she was one happy dog.

Me – well, I’ve never been a big tomato fan. I prefer cucumbers with the skins on, chilled of course. You should have seen all the tomato varieties, though: Brandywine, Green Zebra, Cherokee Purple, Anna Banana Russian, Aunt Ruby’s German Green, Dixie Giants, Faribo Golden Hearts.

I wonder who comes up with all these names. Have you ever gone in a grocery store and asked the produce manager for an Anna Banana Russian? I wonder what you’d get.

We never did meet Aunt Ruby or Faribo Golden Heart, but we did see the Gogosharies, Marglobes and Scarlet Toppers.

There’s something about a tomato festival that always seems to make humans cheery. Glad we went.

2 comments:

  1. You wonder who comes up with all those names for tomatoes. Well....I am but one of the folks that do that. My Green Zebra was named in 1973 or earlier when I was satisfied that one of my tomato clones grew true to typel It had a been in a series of crosses and selfing for many years prior. Instead of calling it a Green Tiger, I thought a Zebra name would be more fun.

    The variety ANNA BANANA RUSSIAN is just a name applied to the Anna Russian tomato. Instead of the usual orange color this new version was yellow, thus the Banana moniker. The Anna Russian was from some seed sent from Russian and given to a nam by the name of Wilcox, and he is turn, handed it down to a grandson. This fellow offered it up to the Seed Savers Exchange and dthe rest is accumulated history.

    Tom Wagner
    BTW, I name hundreds of potatoes and tomatoes each year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Tom. I've never "met" a mater-tater namer before. Are maters easier to name than taters? Somehow they just seem to have more personality going for them, although I do like the cute little new potatoes.

    HQC

    ReplyDelete