Sunday, August 2, 2009

Elliott And The Spider Girl






Before leaving the carnival, I stopped by to see Spider Girl. She was either quiescent or hadn’t put her makeup on yet because the tent flaps were pulled shut.

I watched as a disappointed boy stared up at her monster-size face, mesmerized by her penetrating gaze and by – well, the rest of her.

“Elliott!” his mother hollered. “She isn’t real anyway. Let’s go over to the Rainbow Chaser, now.”

I could hear Elliott weighing his choices.

Rainbow Chaser or Spider Girl?

“Elliott!”

Rainbow Chaser or Spider Girl?

As I flew away, Elliott was sliding down the Rainbow Chaser, creating a memory with a same-day expiration date.

What he’d never forget, though, is the Big What If -- the mysterious, twilight-zoney feel of almost meeting the Spider Girl.

I wonder how the silky threads of missed childhood adventures influence adult civility.

Rainbow Chaser or Spider Girl?

No comments:

Post a Comment