Saturday, August 8, 2009

The Elegance of Simple Kindness


I’m gliding over St. Armands Circle in Sarasota searching for my favorite scent in the whole wide world.

It’s coconut, of course - the cream form (although toasted runs a close second).

Just as I’m about to give up and head to Hawaii, a restaurant beckons: Tommy Bahama Tropical Café. I float in and watch the bartender whip up a tray of Kohala Coladas. Too bad my nonphysical form won’t allow me to drink, but I can smell, and the smell is exquisite.

I’m in cream-of-coconut heaven.

A couple nearby must be celebrating something special because orchids grace their table and white corkscrew ribbons are strewn everywhere. A sunburned waiter is lighting ivory candles. As always, my curiosity gets the best of me. I listen in.

“Today is our wedding anniversary and we’d love to take home a keepsake to remember the occasion,” the woman whispers to the waiter. “May we purchase this?”

She points to a small breadbasket that looks like plaited dark chocolate. It’s square and tightly woven, island exotic against the white linen tablecloth. The waiter picks it up and disappears.

Harlequin Cat is amazed. I’ve seen so many humans in my travels pick up “souvenirs” from restaurants and just waltz out with them.

This woman has offered to pay.

The waiter returns with a Tommy Bahama signature bag and places it on the table. Inside, the breadbasket, nestled in white tissue paper. ”Our gift,” he says.

So glad I stopped at Tommy’s. Life is good today.

No comments:

Post a Comment